Wisconsin Heights Summer School Program 2018
What are you doing this summer? How about teaching in Wisconsin Heights Summer School Program? What is it you’ve always wanted to share with kids, but just never have the time during the regular school year? What special skills or talents do you have? This could be a great opportunity for you to share your talents in our NEW Summer School Enrichment Program! We need creative, two or three-week exploratory/enrichment courses to offer to our district students so we keep them thinking and learning throughout the summer.
Here are the details:
- Summer School 2018 will be held at the Middle/High School and will run for 5 weeks.
- Monday – Thursday / 8:00-12:00 classes / Teachers contracted 7:45-12:15
- Session One – Three weeks (10 days): June 18th –July 3rd (no school on the 4th or 5th)
- Session Two – Two weeks (8 days): July 9th – July 19th
- Three periods (classes) each day:
- Period One – 8:00-9:15
- 9:15-9:30 All-school snack break
- Period Two – 9:30-10:45
- Period Three – 10:45-12:00
- Teacher’s hourly rate is $22.00/hour. (4 ½ hour days – 7:45-12:15)
- We will offer enrichment and remedial classes during both sessions. (This is NEW!)
- If enrollment does not justify the class, the class will be cancelled or combined with another grade level. Numbers will not be known until after registration. With our enrollment caps and online registration, we are hopeful that all classes will be offered.
- Summer School Enrichment Classes
- Must be a certified teacher
- Period Length 75 minutes
- Teachers may choose to teach one period or all three periods
- Teachers may choose to teach the 3-week session, the 2-week session or both sessions.
- If you feel your class needs to be a longer time period you can combine sessions to make for a longer session (example 8:00-10:45 or 9:30-12:00 or 8:00-12:00)
- Teachers will be paid for 75 minutes of their class as well as 15 minutes of prep. Period One (15 min. prep is from 7:45-8:00) Period Two (15 min. prep is from 9:15 – 9:30) Period Three (15 min. prep is from 12:-12:15)
- The goal is to have a variety of options for all grade levels during each period of the day. Courses that are too similar in content will be taken based on a first come first serve basis. You might be asked to tweak your course a bit or change the period it is taught to fit the needs of our program.
- Teachers will determine the cost for each session based on the session needs
- Courses will need to have a minimum of 10 students to run and then you set a maximum level of 15-20 students or more
- NEW: Classes will be offered on a first come, first serve basis and will fill up during our NEW online registration.
- Courses will be offered for a grade range: going into 1st – 2nd / going into 1st – 3rd / going into 3rd – 5th / going into 6th – 8th/ etc.
- Course Ideas: Poetry 101, Creative Writing, Knitting, Science Fun, Outdoor Games, Book Club, Dr. Seuss Mania, Computer Explorers, Down on the Farm, Newspaper Publishing, Math Investigations, Yoga & mindfulness, ETC. BE CREATIVE!
Timelines and What to Do:
- If you would like to share your idea with me before applying to see if your course would fit our needs, please don’t hesitate to do so.
- Apply on WECAN
- Fill out the proposed summer school enrichment form below for EACH enrichment course you are proposing. Due by Friday, Feb. 24th or ASAP.
- All approved courses will be printed in the summer school brochure which will be sent out to students on March 5th with the online registration opening on March 12th through April 12th.
- Notification of summer school contracts will be approved at the May 14th board meeting. Contracts will be issued after that.
- Requisition forms for any supplies/materials needed for your class will need to be turned in ASAP – no later than the last day of school or you may not get your supplies on time.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.
Summer School Principal
608-767-2251 ext. 4143