Reaching New Heights Together
The district is facing critical, essential facilities needs.
After three years of long-term facilities planning and study, the Wisconsin Heights School District Board of Education has proposed one facility referendum question on the November 3, 2020 ballot to address those needs.
If approved by the voters the proposed solution will:
- Add an elementary wing addition to the middle/high School,
- Replace critical and essential items including heating, ventilating and air conditioning, and update the interior learning environment at the Middle/High School.
While we are in the midst of unprecedented times, the school buildings will reopen. The current school buildings have critical facilities needs. The proposal approved by the Board of Education addresses only essential facilities needs for the safe and efficient operation of the schools.
- Both the existing elementary schools have critical needs: roofs, infrastructure, equipment replacements, etc.
- Repairing two schools is as expensive as adding one addition to the middle/high school, and over the long term, it costs more to operate two schools than a single campus.
- The middle/high school needs critical heating, ventilating, and air conditioning (HVAC) equipment and updated learning environments.
- There has not been a building referendum in Wisconsin Heights in 25 years: The elementary schools have not been renovated in 35 years.
- The majority of respondents to the community survey supported the one campus solution.
For more information please visit the Frequently Asked Questions Document: FAQs
What is the ballot question?
According to Wisconsin law, if a voter votes “yes” he/she is approving the proposal:
Shall the Wisconsin Heights School District, Dane and Iowa Counties, Wisconsin be authorized to issue pursuant to Chapter 67 of the Wisconsin Statutes, general obligation bonds in an amount not to exceed $27,000,000 for the public purpose of paying the cost of a school building and facility improvement project consisting of: construction of an elementary school addition at the existing Middle/High School; renovations, building infrastructure and capital maintenance improvements at the Middle/High School, including roof replacement, HVAC improvements and Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) updates; site improvements; and acquisition of furnishings, fixtures and equipment?
What is the tax impact?
Referendum Community Discussions will be held on September 23, 2020, and October 20, 2020. Both will start at 6:00 pm and be held via Zoom.
- September 23, 2020, 6:00 pm, Zoom information:
Join Zoom Meeting https://wisheights-k12-wi-us.zoom.us/j/98380690061?pwd=VkJ1c09kK2ZNQzRSMEtUQjZhY09VQT09
Meeting ID: 983 8069 0061
- October 20, 2020 6:00 pm, Zoom information:
Join Zoom Meeting https://wisheights-k12-wi-us.zoom.us/j/92757567277?pwd=cTkzYUllc21aVjNyYmc5Vk5BSm9VUT09
Meeting ID: 927 5756 7277
How to vote:
All eligible school district voters can vote on this issue at your regular polling place on November 3, 2020. Voters may also vote absentee if you are unable to vote in-person. For information on how to vote in person or cast an absentee ballot, please visit: myvote.wi.gov